Discover everything you need to make your house look even better and more relaxing – from choosing the right paint and learning how to paint trim with carpet.
Giving your house a sense of style can really make it attractive and more relaxing to look at since a well-designed house can contribute to a very soothing ambiance.
Painting your house can be heavy work, as it should be meticulously done in fragments. Even the smallest detail of your house must be painted well for uniformity of color. With that said, one of the challenging parts of painting a house is how to paint trim with carpet.
Your house’s baseboard trim must also be painted in order for it to appear attractive, but if you’re repainting with your carpet installed, this may cause additional stress on your end since this will be a lot trickier.
Although the aforementioned task may be challenging, this doesn’t mean that it’s not possible. Follow this step-by-step guide, along with a complete list of required materials, for the successful repainting of your house.
Before starting this task, it’s best to have a list of materials needed to accomplish your aim, including the trim with the carpet attached close to it.
1. Paint Brush
Although a single brush may do the trick, that doesn’t ensure a good output due to some areas that require smaller brushes. For a tidier outcome, it’s best to prepare the right brush used in painting houses alongside different sizes for accuracy.
2. Blue Painter’s Tape
It is necessary to place a tape on your carpet to avoid permanent stains caused by your paint. Blue painter’s tape is highly recommended for use on carpets to avoid pulling up fibers upon removing the tape.
3. Plastic or Tarp
It can be unused or recycled, as long as it’s sufficient to cover the entire carpet from drops of paint. Otherwise, your carpet will end up having a permanent stain.
Sanding your painted trim is the first step before overlapping it with new paint for a smoother and better application of the paint you’re using. In addition, it’s also done so that the new finish won’t chip off quickly. However, sanding can be a messy and tedious procedure. A better alternative to sanding is making use of a deglosser.
How to Paint Trim with Carpet?
1. In order not to block the air ducts along the baseboard, it’s always best to remove the vent cover or grills. This is to easily remove the smell of the paint and also for you to smoothly paint the trim without any bulging materials.
2. Put the blue painter’s tape along the carpet to prevent the paint from staining it. In addition, use plastic or tarp to cover the entire carpet to prevent the paint from leaving a permanent mark on the carpet.
3. As for those holes or chips in the trim, use wood putty to smoothen the surface and make it appear equal. To smoothen the putty, make use of sandpaper until you’ve completely achieved the ideal smoothness. Remove the dust afterward with a rug.
4. For repainting procedure, remove the glossy trim with a deglosser and add primer before adding a new paint color on it. This is to avoid the new paint from getting chipped easily and also for the new color not to blend in with the old one.
5. After the primer has dried, start painting the trim with your desired paintbrush. Make sure to practice a single stroke in applying paint for it to look neat. If you apply paint in any direction, this may end up looking messy. Let it dry afterward.
6. Once it’s dry, add a second layer coating of the trim for the color to completely pop out. Allow it to dry again.
7. After the second coating has dried, slowly remove the blue painter’s paint from the carpet.
Adding paint to your house, including the trim, will make it look classy and beautiful.
Repainting your house is a good way to make it look more attractive and relaxing, making it a good investment. It may be tedious work, but it’s also worth it in the end. As for painting the trim, it’s easy but having a carpet may require you to exert a little more effort in terms of adding protection. You can do this by placing blue painter’s tape and plastic or tarp to cover the carpet.
Following the procedure on how to paint trim with carpet will certainly make your work more satisfactory.